Success Stories - Jared Sharza, MD - Emergency Medicine Match

Jared Sharza, MD shares his journey of matching into Emergency Medicine at the University of Medicine and Health Sciences. Scott Harrah: I'm Scott Harrah, Director of Digital Content at UMHS, and today we're kicking off our Class of 2022 interviews with Dr. Jared Sharza that matched in emergency medicine at McLaren Macomb, in Michigan, and starts this summer. Dr. Sharza also did a lot of EMS and frontline work during the COVID pandemic and we're pleased to have him here today to talk about emergency medicine. Dr. Sharza, welcome and thanks for speaking with us today. Dr. Jared Sharza Thank you so much for having me, Scott. I'm more than happy to be here and to talk about my experiences from UMHS, and all the way up through clinicals, and hopefully the entire residency as well. Scott Harrah Awesome. Well, Dr. Sharza, let's start up by talking about your background, and why you chose UMHS over other medical schools. Where are you originally from? Dr. Jared Sharza: So, I'm from Canandaigua, New York. It's a small town in upstate New York. It's close to Rochester, for anybody who's familiar with the area. I went to undergrad at St. Lawrence University for two years, where I was trying to focus on economics and pre-law. And then I transferred over to Nazareth College in Rochester, New York, where I studied anthropology. And afterwards I started getting involved with EMS where I was curious about medicine, but I wasn't really sold. I never did the pre-med traditional track or anything. So I really wanted to just get a little experience in that. And I ended up falling in love with EMS. I worked about a year after graduating undergrad, and I found myself in a position where I wanted to go further with medicine, but I just didn't have the traditional background. I ended up reading that book and decided that I really did want to go to the Caribbean. I wanted a life experience along with an education and I was looking into these different schools. And I remember I was working an overnight shift with EMS and I went to the UMHS Facebook page, and I kept seeing all these different names. But there is one student, who's one of my good friends, who actually was a student there at the time. So I sent him, it must have been 20 messages or something overnight. And the next morning he actually replied to all of them talking about the school. So that really sold me right then and there to get more information, to submit my application. And I absolutely do not regret it. Scott Harrah Wow. That's amazing. And I think you've already... I didn't realize you were a non-traditional student. What did you say your background was, your undergraduate was in again? Dr. Jared Sharza I first studied pre-law in economics, and then I studied anthropology. So from undergrad, when I studied anthropology, I really knew from earlier on I had an interest in adventure and discovery, and a curiosity about different cultures around the world. So going to the Caribbean just was a perfect opportunity for me. Scott Harrah Okay. And were there any professors or staff members, both in St. Kitts and Maine, that were especially helpful or inspiring to you succeed? Dr. Jared Sharza UMHS is a very community-driven campus. Whether it's St. Kitts, or whether it's in Maine. Dr. Afolabi has always been one of my supporters, and I always got motivation from him. He always just spread great messages and everything. May he rest in peace. Dr. Doherty was also a big proponent for continuing to move forward, continuing to challenge myself, but really everybody just on St. Kitts alone was awesome. And then definitely Dr. Thibodeau, up in Maine, really set us up for success and really pushed us. Scott Harrah: Excellent. And is there anything specific about your medical education at UMHS, whether it was basic sciences or clinical rotations, that helped you match in emergency medicine? Dr. Jared Sharza So in terms of emergency medicine, it's one of those areas where you have to, there's a saying, Jack of all master of none. And I guess it was just my curiosity, and fostering my education, and interest, from every single class that I had. -TimeStamps - 00:00 Begin 01:10 Why Choose UMHS? 03:16 Texted a current student 05:04 The Professors at UMHS 06:00 What helped you match into Emergency Med

from University of Medicine and Health Sciences https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j17C1cy31zA
via UMHS YouTube Channel

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Success Stories - Michelle Hornedo, MD - Internal Medicine Match

Dr. Tendai Marume on Internal Medicine Residency in Philadelphia, PA

Dr. Carlos A. Villanueva Soto - Internal Medicine Residency in Puerto Rico